Why is blogging so popular these days? The term BLOG is defined as a regularly updated website or a webpage that is usually ran by one person or a small group of persons. Most blogs are written in an informal or in a conversational tone. A lot of people I know are into blogging, and so am I but sadly, I never took it seriously. I make a blog and I don’t update it for the next six months or so, which totally defeats the purpose of a blog. Don’t get me wrong, you don’t have to update every hour of the day.
If you have been asking yourself if you should start a blog, I say you definitely should. There are a lot of benefits to blogging that most people aren’t aware of. Here are some benefits that you may have missed:
- It connects people. Blogging has a high chance of connecting people from different parts of the world. Thanks to the internet, it is so easy to communicate and buuld friendships with other humans who live in different countries and time zones. Also, because of the internet, it is also easier to for us to share our thoughts with a click of a button. Think Facebook Statuses and Twitter Updates.
With a blog, we will be able to share our experiences with other people. Another thing that was made easy for us is to let other people see our works of art, written words like book, poems, or stories, and create an online portfolio of how we want to be seen or depicted as online. This can lead to more job opportunities when they Google search your name. Most companies do that now so you have to be careful about how you portray yourself online too.
Somehow, blogging helps bring people closer and lets us feel that we are not alone with what we are going through. Blogging also lets us learn from the experiences of other people and at the same time, they can learn from ours too! ❤
Personally, blogging has allowed me to interact and connect with women I looked up to. It allowed me to see that they are worth looking up to but remember, that not everything that you see or read online is true. Always take it with a grain of salt.
- It allows you to write better and express yourself more. Regularly updating a blog helps in improving our writing style and gives us a way to be able to express our thoughts more. I’ve always been faced with this problem. I always find myself tongue-tied when talking in real life. Of course, conversations through texts and paper seem more distant compared to talking with someone face to face. Through blogging, I have managed to practice arranging my thoughts and words in the best possible way that I could to make it more comprehensible.
Somehow, blogging has helped me identify my strengths and my weaknesses at the same time so I could improve them.
- You don’t need a set of special skills to blog. You don’t have to take a Bachelor of Science degree to be able to start blogging. Even as a high school student, you will be able to sign up or start your own blog. I started on a blog when I was in second year high school (That’s 14 years old!) but of course, I didn’t have any idea what to really do about it except post some random happenings in my life. It soon stopped though because I got busy with school.
I noticed that my blog making trend always seemed to start during the summer months when I’m stuck at home, doing nothing. LOL. #Bored
Which brings me to my next point…
- You can learn all about management and being creative. Starting a blog is easy, but keeping a blog is a little challenging. You will have to exert effort on your part and find time when you can really update. As a student, I didn’t really know how to manage my time (which I wish I did because blogging is really cool) with my school activities, especially since I took up Nursing in University. I would always start a blog with a serious intent to keep it going and frequently update it, but gave it up in the end because I don’t have enough time to do so.
Of course, just updating is not enough, you have to make your topics or posts interesting to read and unique. Add a touch of yourself to every post that you make.
It is discouraging to follow a blog which updates only once every six months (sometimes never!) and it’s about nonsense things too. I wish I took blogging seriously but it’s never too late for you and me. 😉
- It is free and affordable! This is one of the best things about blogging. As I stated above, anyone can do it – even people who don’t have an income yet. Yes, students, I am referring to you. 😀 There are a lot of blogging platforms that you can choose from like Tumblr, WordPress, Blogger, SquareSpace, and a lot more. You just have to take time to find the one that suits your needs best.
I like WordPress because it is organized and I just generally like the layout and add-ons offered by the website. I tried SquareSpace before after hearing about it from a friend but I couldn’t figure out my way around it. I also tried Blogger, but I found the themes and layout of the blogs to be not my taste. WordPress offers a lot more themes but they are usually more expensive. Blogger themes are being sold at a lesser price compared to WordPress themes.
Tumblr is also cool. I still maintain my Tumblog just to keep in touch with other Naruto nerds. Plus, Tumblr is easy to use and update. You can just reblog things. Their themes are also cute! I guess I feel that WordPress gives off a more professional vibe.
That’s just me though! Go and experiment! Find the right platform for you! Don’t limit yourself. What could work for others, may not necessarily work for you.
- You have a chance to earn. Yes, blogging gives you a chance to earn money and receive freebies. This is called being an affiliate. What is an affiliate? Merriam-Webster defines the world ‘Affiliate’ as “to closely connect (something or yourself) with or to something (such as a program or an organization) as a member or a partner.
For example, if you are a blog who is focused on women and issues related to women, companies who sell Sanitary Pads or Make-Ups may reach out to you to do a review about their product and promote it to your readers. There are some companies who pay you money (depending on the rate you agreed on) or you get free products which is just as great.
If your website receives a lot of traffic or views, you also have the chance to earn money because of the advertisements placed all over your website. I’m sure you’ve noticed those advertisements at the sides or at the top part of a website. The companies will pay you for the space you provided for them to put their ad on.
Also if your blog is being read by a lot of people, this can also open a whole lot of opportunities for you. You could be invited to do speaking engagements about topics you usually talk about in your blog, or you can speak about how your blog became successful in order to help those who are also interested in starting their own blogs. It can also land you writing gigs for different companies. 😉 Such a win win!
Does these sound good to you? There are a lot more but I’ll save those for some other time. What are you waiting for? Start your blog today! If you want to discuss with me, you can leave a comment below or hit me up with a message at email@example.com. Have a great day! Hope to see you again here soon!